This method is best suited to whole fish and flaky fillets.
Excellent for oily fish such as Mackerel and Herrings, and for half Lobsters. This method is a dry heat method which the heat comes from one direction which is usually from above.
- Pre heat the grill to a high heat and turn down to a medium heat
- Place the grill rack 8 – 10 inches above the fish fillets or whole fish
- Lightly brush the fish with oil, marinade or melted butter
- Baste occasionally during cooking to stop skin / flesh drying out and burning
- Thin fillets may not need turning but thicker ones need to be turned and basted often
- Slash whole fish sides
- Keep the skin on fillets.